Wednesday 8 February 2012

Our Common Lives by Jisoo Kim

I slump on the soppy grounds
as the mud soaks into my feeble
rag, which harden in the gust.
It clings stickily onto my
painfully starved skin, spewing with
produced sharp ribs.
My raw and naked feet are crusted
and cracking at the souls. My hands
clutch the rusted tin-can on a
prostrate arm.
My mouth opens to wail.
My eyes are dark wells of defeat.
I am dying.
The grubby sky, ground, sides
are cropped-4x4cm.
But your eyes scan by, apathetic.
Flipping the page of my plea-
you gasp in alarm at the
Steve Jobs death column.

By Jisoo Kim
Inspired by the poem 'Photograph of a Girl' by Sharen Olds

1 comment:

  1. There is so much feeling in this poem, Ji Soo. You have really captured the essence of this photo and the issues implied by this medium. especially you have shown a fello feeling for the poignancy of this girl's situation. Well done!!! I do hope you have had time to research Sharon Olds.
    keep on writing! We'll get you publishing!!!!!

    ReplyDelete